The popular St Ann’s Well and café has reopened following the completion of essential restoration work.
The Malvern Hills Trust, the charity who owns the Grade II listed building, started the project in late summer 2017 with an extensive programme of renewals and repairs to the structure of the property.
The restoration plans were drawn up by local Architect Matthew Gullick, working closely with MHDC Conservation Officers and Historic England, to carefully protect the sensitive historic features of this listed building.
The works contract was carried out by another local company, Shaun Morris Builders, who undertook the external repairs and restoration works to the roof, rainwater goods, windows and side elevation. Inside a full refit of the café, kitchen and internal facilities have been undertaken including electrical, plumbing, damp-proofing, drainage and heating systems.
Duncan Bridges, CEO of the Trust said ‘St Ann’s Well is a well known feature on the Hills, but had reached a stage where the fabric of the building needed sorting out. This project was aimed at restoring and refreshing the historic exterior of the property, while at the same time bringing the internal services of the building into the 21st Century. We are delighted with the works that have been achieved, which will ensure St Ann’s is fit for purpose for many years to come. ‘
St Ann’s well has a long history of welcoming visitors to the Hills and the older Well Room was built in 1815 by Lady Emily Foley.
It became an important location for those wishing to ‘take the waters’ after Dr Wilson declared that the spring water could provide health benefits. The popular Victorian fashion for the water cure treatments brought huge numbers of people, from far and wide, to Malvern and the Hills.
The Octagonal Room was built in 1860 as more and more visitors came up to the Well for fresh air, water and refreshments.