Trees and tree planting - Right tree, right place

We’re pleased to see from recent news and events that people are concerned about and are speaking about the global climate emergency and biodiversity decline.

Since 1884 we have been dedicated to conserving the important features and special qualities of the landscape of the Malvern Hills and Commons which includes a variety of habitats including woodlands, grasslands and heath.

We continue to work towards a creating a biodiverse and resilient landscape.  A huge part of our work is to maintain a wealth of woodlands and open habitats and to restore priority habitats found here too.

More than 57% of the Malvern Hills and Commons are designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, primarily for their open grassland, ancient woodland, mire and meadow habitats.  As well as providing homes for birds, reptiles, and insects these open areas are also essential in the conservation of ancient archaeology and provide panoramic vistas for all to enjoy.

Although decarbonising the economy is the key solution, tree planting can be a useful tool too. Amongst the discussions relating to tree planting and woodland creation for the purposes of carbon sequestration, the importance of grasslands and other open habitats in this process can become lost.  Grasslands are also carbon sinks, locking up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.  

In response to requests to plant trees on the Malvern Hills and Commons, we have provided the below position statement.  We echo the Forestry Commission in the adage: ‘the right tree in the right place.’. Just 5% of England is covered in important open habitats, efforts toward climate change should not destroy these vital wildlife havens and ignore the remaining 95% of the country where trees would bring benefit to all.

Our position is shared by many other wildlife conservation organisations including the Wildlife Trusts and the Woodland Trust.

Read our position statement here.